motorkittens

Arduinos and Engines and Halfshafts, oh my

Another Sunday workday today! We used 5 KP (kitten-power; courtesy of Blake, Connor, Spencer, Kevin, and Peter) to tow Knuckles and carry some tools and parts over to the Autobay from North Garage.

Once we got there, Stephanie, Karen, Gideon, and Peter went at it with sockets and wrenches, disassembling the rear suspension. 

Stephanie with a two-wheeled, de-shocked Knuckles (and Karen's foot)

Stephanie with a two-wheeled, de-shocked Knuckles (and Karen's foot)

Eric, Colton, and Spencer puzzled over our poor, drowned engine (yes, too much motor oil can be too much of a good thing). 

Spencer, Colton, and Eric making progress on the engine (see Eric's face for summary)

Spencer, Colton, and Eric making progress on the engine (see Eric's face for summary)

Emily, Gaurav, and Gerardo helped Drew complete a data acquisition system for our CVT! Now we'll be able to gather much more concrete information from testing. 

Armando and Jon continued to look into jigging, Will became a tube-coping champ and a master socket-organizer, and Sebastian got some plastic ready for laser-cutting next week. And Isaac brought Peter, Gideon, and Blake back over to North Garage to take off Spot's half shafts. 

Busy busy...Will coping tubes, Alex supervising rear suspension disassembly, and Colton, Spencer, and Eric taking apart the engine.

Busy busy...Will coping tubes, Alex supervising rear suspension disassembly, and Colton, Spencer, and Eric taking apart the engine.

Good work, team!

Next stop: Baja Maryland!

We had a great first all-member meeting over the weekend.  To get our new members their introduction to the team, they took apart our current car, Knuckles, clear down to the frame.  There is a lot of work ahead of us to redesign our corners and transmission for the year, plus many smaller projects.

As of this morning, we’re registered as team 54 for Baja SAE Maryland, on May 7-10, 2015!

John and Mike for the Win!

John Taseff and Mike Jastram, our chief and senior engineers have officially finished our frame and gear box designs! After months of slaving over maths and FEA analysis, we have our two largest car components finished. We recruited 15 new team members this year, but up until this week, most of the details of our designs have been in a standstill until we could define the major components of our car. We have focused on training the new members on the process for designing a part, and getting them up to speed on their CAD, sheet metal, mill and lathe skills. With the overall dimensions of the frame and gear box defined, we can press forward and distribute smaller projects to all team members who can now work within the established dimensions of the car to complete individual projects.